(Morristown, N.J.)…The Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR) has updated their guidelines and instructions covering mandatory pre-shipment fumigation requirements to protect against brown marmorated stink bugs over the 2019 – 2020 high risk season.
These measures will come into effect on September 1st, 2019 (date of shipment from origin port) and run through May 31st, 2020, covering imports to Australia.
Please visit http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/before/brown-marmorated-stink-bugs for further detailed information. You will note the following on accessing this website:
- DAWR have further strengthened their planned seasonal measures for 2019 – 2020
- 33 countries now figure on their summary of ‘Target List’ nations
- Certain tariff classifications have been categorized as containing target high risk goods and where mandatory treatment for brown marmorated stink bugs is required
- Other tariff classifications may not require mandatory treatment but will be subject to increased onshore intervention through random inspections
- Mandatory offshore treatment of target high risk goods shipped as break bulk will be imposed. Goods shipped in open top containers or on flat rack/platform containers will be considered to be break bulk
- target high risk goods requiring mandatory offshore treatment that arrive untreated, or treated by an unapproved treatment provider in a target risk country, will be denied discharge and directed for export on arrival
- Only containerized cargo arriving in sealed six hard sided containers with target high risk goods can be treated offshore or onshore at the container level
We would encourage all of our clients moving ‘target high risk’ goods to familiarize themselves with the DAWR guidelines, and to ensure their suppliers comply with any offshore mandatory treatment conditions before the September 1st deadline.
Please contact your Hamburg Süd representative with any questions that you may have.