Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs : Season 2019-2020
Imports to New Zealand
The New Zealand Ministry for Primary Industries (M.P.I) has now updated their guidelines and instructions covering mandatory pre-shipment fumigation requirements to protect against Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs over the 2019/2020 high risk season.
These measures will come into effect on September 1st, 2019 (date of shipment from origin port) and run through April 30th, 2020, covering imports to w Zealand.
Please visit https://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/importing/vehicles-and-machinery/requirementsdocuments-for-importing-vehicles-machinery-or-equipment/brown-marmorated-stink-bug-requirements/
for further detailed information. You will note on accessing this website:
- MPI has further strengthened their planned seasonal measures for ‘19/’20
- 33 countries now figure on their summary of ‘Target List’ nations (previously was 17)
- certain tariff classifications have been categorised as containing target high risk goods, and where mandatory treatment for BMSB risk is required.
- other tariff classifications may not require mandatory treatment, but will be subject to increased onshore intervention through random inspections.
- mandatory offshore treatment of target high risk goods shipped as break bulk will be imposed.
Goods shipped on open top containers or on flat rack/platform containers will be considered to be break bulk.
- target high risk goods requiring mandatory offshore treatment that arrive untreated, or treated by an unapproved treatment provider in a target risk country, will be denied discharge, and directed for export on arrival
- imported cargo relating to vehicles will need to be treated offshore, including sea containers
- Offshore treatment requirements will also apply to all sea containers from Italy
We would encourage all our clients moving ‘target high risk’ goods to familiarise themselves with the MPI guidelines, and to ensure their suppliers comply with any offshore mandatory treatment conditions before the September 1st deadline.
Please also contact your nearest Hamburg Süd representative should you have any further questions.